Thursday, July 3, 2008

So I've been gone a while

Did anyone miss me? I didn't really think so. I got involved in other things and I just didn't think I had anything I really felt I had to say. But, if I want to be a common 'tater of any kind, I suppose I need to generate some comments.
I've been looking at the California gay marriage issue. It's amazing to me how easily some people are taken in by the rhetoric about "equal rights". I'll probably have words to say about that, but probably not tonight.

Just for entertainment, over at Hot Air , I saw this.
At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.
Instead, she performed the song “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” which is also known as the “black national anthem.”

Afterwards, she explained:
“When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: ‘I
want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman,
as a black person,”

Some of the more pointed/funnier comments at Hot Air

How about putting her race before her country, and deceiving the audience as to her intent? Tribalism before country?

This reveals much about a certain subset of negro society. They view themselves as ‘living here’, but they are not Americans.

But the singer herself said she did it for racial (racist) reasons. It’s not knee-jerk to take offense when offense is intended. The singer did not replace the lyrics in order to expose her audience to a great, spiritually-uplifting song. She did it to make a point about how racist she thinks America still is. She did it to metaphorically raise her middle finger at the country that gives her the freedom to replace the lyrics of its national anthem without fear of reprisal beyond public outrage.

Rene Marie is a jackass. I’m a musician. If you are hired to play/sing something-play it!If the bride wants to hear Wagner’s Wedding March for her wedding processional, I don’t play “Farmer in the freakin’ Dell” ’cause I felt like it.When I order scallops at a restaurant, I don’t want the chef to cook liver and onions for me ’cause he felt like it.In a word-unprofessional.

No comments: